The Division of Student Affairs exists to sustain a culture of learning, reflecting the profound opportunities inherent for students at Virginia Tech. We believe students can develop habits of interpersonal awareness, intentional actions, and self-reflection, which complete and complement academic and professional education. The Division of Student Affairs is deliberate in discerning and designing the learning opportunities available in student environments, creating new and innovative practices for student learning, and assessing the extent to which students are able to apply knowledge to solve problems. We challenge students to connect knowledge to the possibilities for improving humanity near and far, creating a legacy now and in the future.
Virginia Tech adopted the Aspirations for Student Learning to provide the very best learning for our students—from orientation through graduation, both in and out of the classroom. We want students to do more, be more, and aspire to become their best self by:
- Committing to unwavering CURIOSITY — Virginia Tech students will be inspired to lead lives of curiosity, embracing a life-long commitment to intellectual development.
- Pursuing SELF-UNDERSTANDING and INTEGRITY — Virginia Tech students will form a set of affirmative values and develop the self-understanding to integrate these values into their decision-making.
- Practicing CIVILITY — Virginia Tech students will understand and commit to civility as a way of life in their interactions with others.
- Preparing for a life of COURAGEOUS LEADERSHIP — Virginia Tech students will be courageous leaders who serve as change agents and make the world more humane and just.
- Embracing UT PROSIM (That I May Serve) as a way of life — Virginia Tech students will enrich their lives through service to others.