The Division of Student Affairs affirms and supports the Virginia Tech Principles of Community and the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors’ commitment to a diverse and inclusive community. We strive to:
- develop and foster a climate that understands, accepts, and embraces diversity;
- establish programs that facilitate the development of competencies needed to be effective participants in a multicultural environment; and
- deliver quality services that are welcoming to all, promote supportive and inclusive communities, and contribute to a just and caring university.
Diversity Learning Outcomes
A summary of initiatives related to the development of international and multicultural competencies in students and employees.
- By spring 2011, the percentage of undergraduate students who indicate that they somewhat agree or strongly agree that they have become more open-minded about diversity-related issues since starting college will increase by 3% from 53% to 56% (national average is 58%) as measured by the Profile of Today’s College Student.
- By spring 2011, the percentage of undergraduate students who indicate that they would correct or challenge a stereotype upon hearing a discriminatory/stereotypical comment will increase by 3% from 34% to 37% (national average is 40%) as measured by the Profile of Today’s College Student.
Diverse Experiences and Opportunities within DSA
- Cranwell International Center
This center was created to respond to the specific needs of the international community and encourage interchange between the international guests and their U.S. colleagues, including members of the local community.
- Multicultural Programs and Services
This department was created to offer a welcoming environment that affirms and celebrates the diversity of its community particularly those from underrepresented and historically marginalized populations.
Student Organizations Offering Diverse Experiences and Opportunities
- Asian American Student Union
- Council of International Student Organizations
- Hillel at Virginia Tech
- Latino Association of Student Organizations
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Alliance
- National Panhellenic Council
Beyond Student Affairs
- Commission on Equal Opportunity and Diversity
- Diversity at Virginia Tech
- Women’s Center at Virginia Tech
Mar. 2, 2:00-2:30 p.m.
Health Professions Advising
Smith Career Center Rm. B
Mar. 2, 3:00-3:30 p.m.
Health Professions Advising HPA 202: The Competitive Applicant
Smith Career Center Rm. B
Mar. 3, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Tune Up Your Professionalism Skills
Graduate Life Center Multipurpose Room
Mar. 3, 7:00-8:30 p.m.
True Tales of Study Abroad
Black Cultural Center, Squires
Mar. 4, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
Multicultural Programs & Services Satellite Advising
140 Squires Student Center